With winter officially on the way and snow forecast over the next few days, it’s worth taking a few minutes to do a little preparation BEFORE severe weather hits. As well as creating a household plan for emergencies we suggest taking these five simple steps help to keep you and your family safe during severe weather.
- Keep a mixture of salt and sand and a shovel handy to put on steps or paths in icy weather
- Keep simple cold, flu and sore throat remedies in the house and order repeat prescriptions in plenty of time
- Keep three days worth of water and basic food items in the cupboard or freezer in case you cannot get out to go shopping
- Keep a battery-operated radio, torch and spare batteries handy in case there’s a power cut
- Keep a list of emergency numbers, such as your utility companies, by your phone
You can find lots more advice about preparing for and dealing with emergencies, such as severe winter weather, on the Ready Scotland website.